In 1832, an Evangelical Zion Church was organized in Winesburg and Rev. William Smith donated the lot where the church now stands and two lots for the cemetery. The first cornerstone was laid in 1833. By 1869, the church needed extensive repairs and it was voted to tear the old building down and rebuild. The cornerstone of the new church was laid in 1870 and dedicated in 1871. The church is still in operation today, and could be one of the most photographed buildings in Holmes County.
Winesburg became quickly settled between 1830 and 1850. Many of the early settlers came from Germany and Switzerland.
The spelling of Weinsburg was changed to Winesburg by the United States postal authorities in 1833, when a post office was established. Isolated on the hilltop, the canal and railroad never stopped in Winesburg, and crude highways kept the villagers close to home. There was little reason to leave. Two stores sold groceries and dry goods. When a steer was slaughtered, a butcher sold meat, a tanner made leather from the hide and two different shoe makers manufactured boots. There were eight saloons, three bands and stage productions at the town hall for entertainment.
As time progressed, technology brought about the invention of the automobile and the construction of a paved state highway through the town. Large amounts of people were assembling in Winesburg and the problem of isolation had been eliminated. By 1860, Winesburg had a physician, five grocery stores, two taverns, a mattress works, three shoe stores, a hotel, harness and saddle shop, cigar shop, wagon and buggy works, copper shop, two blacksmiths, a butcher and a weaver.
Immigration of the Amish in Holmes County began around 1810. By 1835, twenty five years after the settlement of Winesburg began, there were 250 taxable Amish families in the county.
Even today, Winesburg is brimming with history, come see for yourself.