Situated in East Union Township, Wayne County, the village of Apple Creek was actually formed from two separate settlements.
Several Scotch-Irish families had settled in the area by 1817, the same year they organized a presbyterian church. Growth came quickly; in another year, the settlement had a mill, tavern, church building, general store, tannery, foundry and butcher shop. New people continued to move into the area, which still had no formal name.
Several years later, in 1832, William Thomas and John Cheyney founded and platted the village of Edinburg, probably named as a tribute to the ancestry of the early settlers.
Two decades after Edinburg’s founding, the Cleveland, Akron and Mt. Vernon Railroad began buying land in the area for a proposed railway. John Hindman owned a parcel of land that crossed SR 250, and in 1854 he laid the first plot for a village he called Apple Creek Station. He built a grocery and a post office for the new town, and soon a blacksmith shop, boarding house and store followed. Apple Creek Station soon grew as the railroad demanded supplies. Warehouses for grain, coal and other supplies were built all along what is now High Street; this became a very busy area because of the railroad.
Meanwhile, the population of Edinburg continued to grow, and by 1860 the U.S. Census recorded a doctor, innkeeper, four grocers, three tailors, three blacksmiths and three carpenters among the citizens of the village. At this time there were approximately fifty buildings in Edinburg.
By 1877, the two villages had edged closer together, with more and more land between them being built up. So, the decision was made to combine the two settlements and incorporate them as one village – Apple Creek
Read More | Apple Creek Historical Society